Why Is My Drain Clogged
There is potentially no worse feeling than trying to flush a toilet or run the garbage disposal only to find out nothing is draining. When there are issues with the drains in your home, minor issues can quickly turn into major problems without any warning. That’s why if you are starting to notice any kind of drainage issue, contact Wicked Plumbing as soon as possible. We can help with a clogged drain in Somerset, MA or any of the surrounding areas. Contact us at (508) 272-1196 for reliable services today.
What Causes a Clogged Drain
What can actually cause a drain to become clogged? Believe it or not, there are several things that can happen or get lodged in your pipes which can lead to clogs. How do you know if there is a clog? That’s a great question. The most obvious indication of a clog is a slow-moving drain. Water isn’t draining as quickly as it once was, which could mean something is blocking the flow of water.
- Hair: One of the most common items to clog your drains is hair. It can easily build up and collect with other items. The best way to prevent this one from creating problems is by installing drain guards which can catch the majority of this culprit.
- Dirt: While the majority of your pipes are meant to direct water and waste away from the home, they are only so big. If you are washing yourself or a pet off with large chunks of dirt, it can easily get lodged and stuck, causing a clog.
- Food Waste: In the kitchen, it can be easy to think that the garbage disposal will just take care of everything. However, if your disposal is older or smaller than your needs, it may not be able to effectively process everything into a size small enough to drain away.
- Mineral Build-Up: Homes with hard water may be more likely to experience than homes that have had a water softener installation. The minerals in hard water can build up over time, resulting in blocks and clogs.
- Tree Roots: While it can’t be easily cleaned away, another common cause of clogged drain is actually tree root infiltration. Tree roots can grow around and into your mainline causing water flow irregularities, clogs, blocks, and more.
One of the biggest questions we get asked is, can a clogged drain cause a leak? The answer is, yes. If enough pressure builds up, it can result in a leak. A way to combat that is by installing a water softener or investing in a water filtration installation. These steps will help to remove a big cause of the problem, mineral build-up.
How to Clean a Clogged Drain
If you do find a clog in one of your drains, you may be wondering what to do next. While you can look up how to clean a clogged drain on your own, it’s important to note that nothing will be as effective as professional cleaning. More than that, nothing will be as safe as a professional cleaning. A clogged drain cleaning cost will be more expensive than what you can do on your own – initially. If something goes wrong during a DIY project, you may end up paying more money on repairs and replacement services. Rather than take that risk, rely on Wicked Plumbing to help. We are the leading professionals for all things plumbing and drain cleaning. Connect with us today for more.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How much does it cost to clean a clogged drain?
- Depending on where the clogged drain is, the cost will vary. Kitchen and bathroom drain cleaning services will run you about $100 to $200 in total. Cleaning a laundry drain will be about the same, but a toilet drain cleaning can cost up to $300 in total.
- How do you clean a drain?
- There are several different ways to clean a clogged drain. Rarely will plumbers recommend over the counter drain cleaners, instead suggesting hot water, vinegar, and other less aggressive options. You can always rely on a plumber to get the job done efficiently.
- What causes a drain to become clogged?
- Several things can build up and cause clogged drains. In the kitchen, pieces of large food, grease, sediment, dirt, and other items can easily build-up resulting in a blockage. In bathrooms, it can be because of hair, sediment, soap products, and other clogging items.
- What can I pour down a drain to unclog it?
- You can pour hot water, vinegar, and or a mixture of the two. Do not pour liquid drain cleaners down your pipes. These products aren’t the most effective at removing clogs. More than that, they can seriously damage and eat away at your plumbing.
- How do you know you have a clogged drain?
- There are several signs to pay attention to. The most obvious sign is usually a slow-moving drain. If it appears to be taking longer for water to drain, something is likely blocking the flow of water. Another obvious sign could be bad smells coming from drains.
Connect With Us Today for More
Rely on Wicked Plumbing when you need help with a clogged drain in Somerset, MA. Dial (508) 272-1196 to get started.